Tuesday, March 01, 2005

what's up at 11:31 a.m.?

Well, not much. I drank coffee. Mmmm...coffee. Incidentally, this verse from Maroon 5's "The Sun" keeps popping into my head:


the rhythm of her conversation
the perfection of her creation
the sex she slipped into my coffee
The way she felt when she first saw me
Hate to love and love to hate her
Like a broken record player
Back and forth and here and gone
And on and on and on and on


And then I read about the following:

- the resignation of Lebanon's Prime Minister Omar Karami
- the difference between British and American smiles (I had seen this a couple weeks ago already in the Globe and Mail's Social Studies section)
- the "pacemaker" treatment for depression

Everytime I think of various demonstrations, manifestations of political agendas, etc. I always think back to living in Metro Manila during the time of the Edsa Revolution. We, as kids were highly aware, perhaps more than could be fully comprehended, of the political atmosphere of the time.

I asked Kent if he feels a strong need, after reading such articles, to expound on the subject. He says that he does. I wondered, then, at the absence of such a need in me. He talked about the political and strategic advantages the would be reaped by the U.S. if they can successfully rid Lebanon of Syrian leadership. Agreed, agreed. But why get worked up? I mean, personally, if I get angry about it, what good will it do?

Sounds terribly simplistic of me, doesn't it? Obviously, I think the awareness is important, which is why I really would like to understand why it provokes little reaction on my part. My response to him was, "Yeah, well, that's nothing new. Are people surprised by this? Doesn't everyone who reads the paper, hears the news, realize this?" The answer is, obviously not, perhaps too much credit is given where not due.

I wonder, too, how much of the conflict around me while I was growing up served to make me thankful that I need not immerse myself in political strife. Did it actually affect me enough so that I either (a) have become desensitized, or (b) want to run from a discussion in which opposing sides will never relent and which will not enact a change on a global scale? Not good either way, I seem to display and contribute to apathy, in an effort not to cause ripples. Hmmm...ripples can be fun, though.

Maybe HAVING to read and report on Current Events at a young age has made politics into my bitter vegetable. I care, I really do, but I can't seem to get angry enough, perhaps a bad sign of resignation. I don't like this resign. I try, I really do, but there it is.

Ok, must eat. On the lunch menu...roast beef, eggs sunny side up on rice. Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home