Tuesday, March 01, 2005

it hurts more and more to sit here

It's 1:17 p.m. I feel worse. Coughing hurts more.

I can't decide what to listen to. I'll see how I do with some Fiona Apple.

So, at 9:30 a.m. today, I watched...you ready for this?...The Prince and Me. I was warned of its linear plot. Immediately, however, I realized that this was not the case. The opening scene alone showed the complexity of the work. The Prince of Denmark was relishing control of his speeding car while unbenowst to him, in the land of Wisconsin, his future love relished the same high speed as she strove to make her friend's wedding.

Of course, there's the character development. Paige has dreams. She plans on going to med school and joining Doctors Without Borders. The Prince, Eddie, hasn't a clue. Could such a mismatched pair make it in the harsh light of reality? But of course! Nothing is more endearing to a smart girl than a guy who can't tell whether colours go into the cold or warm water. I completely understand!!

After all, he understands Shakespeare! Oh, to hear the poetry of the Bard uttered by luscious lips as both realize that they are art. Art and Science, colliding, defying the force that threatens to pull them apart---the 360-degree-times-a-thousand, nauseating camera spin that somehow makes them stand still in its eye.

So she abandons her dreams, decides to be Queen of Denmark. Who can resist the delicate butterly Prince Eddie frees from his palm to reveal a tantalizing diamond ring?

But her reason wins. She decides to follow her dreams, not his. But love, oh love, conquers all. Eddie's heart, won over by her independence and strength, appears at her convocation and pledges his undying love that will wait until her dreams have been realized. Love doesn't die with distance! Wove, twue wove [Princess Bride reference, in case you didn't catch it] waits, waits, never withers. For it is grown from the rich, indelible, red soil of the heart (or P.E.I.?) which is of the infinite spirit!

I watched it anyway. It was taped at U of T, lots of St. Mike's shots and even a shot of Innis.

Plus, deep down, I know I still want to believe in fairy tales.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home