Tuesday, September 19, 2006

pirate fascination

I was told that it is National Talk-Like-A-Pirate-Day!

I'm not entirely sure how pirates came to be so well-loved. They rape and pillage, after all. I think it all started with the Disney-fication of Blue Beard (Barbe-Bleue, Walt Disney Productions (1968)) who was a pirate in this version. I remember that though he was most certainly wicked, Disney saved his soul with some act of kindness or other. It's funny...quick research on Google indicates that many do not know that Disney turned this tale into a kid's movie.

Ah ha! Further googling informed me that the movie is actually called Blackbeard's Ghost. I do recall that this was based on Barbe-Bleue, but Disney repackaged the story so that we can love pirates. Someday, I might decide to verify the accuracy of all this, but for now, my memory says it is so.

But, I digress. The point of this post is to provide you with a brief tutorial on "How To Talk Like A Pirate".

I also found this index of pirate movies!

Oh and check out funny pirates at Pirates Making Jokes.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are we talking about the same Blue Beard?

In French countries, "La barbe bleue" tells the story of a nobleman who marries a girl and tells her not to open a small chamber. She does and discovers the corpses of his previous wives bathing in their own blood.

Yes, it's a children's fairy tale!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 10:59:00 p.m.  
Blogger me said...

Yup! That's the one. They adapted the movie, so it wasn't too gruesome, but I saw it as a kid and there was definitely something a bit evil about the character.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:04:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home